Skip to main content

The Undesirable Mr. Spock

 How The Cold Calculated Choice Is A Dangerous Habit To Develop


The bell just rang, the doors fly open and an avalanche of smiling faces come pouring out into the yard. It’s recess.

There’s that period everyone goes through. Usually from grades 4 to 7 where you’re old enough to understand the world around you but young enough to still love to play.

These are important formative years.

I was an interesting mix growing up. I wasn’t an unpopular kid, but I wasn’t one of the super popular kids either. I was something else, somewhere in the the middle.

I always had friends, did sports, wasn’t shy, and was smart enough to do well in school while also being able to play the slacker card. For the most part, things were good.

The problem I had though, was that I was always bigger. Growing up a fat kid the 90s was less forgiving than what life is like today. Bullying was quite chic back then, borderline expected as part of growing up.

But I was too popular to be bullied openly but not popular enough to avoid it completely. In some ways I wonder if this is worse. Kids can be cruel. When they would break out the fat jokes it was ALWAYS at times to have maximum impact.

Learning to Cope

We’re wildly adaptable when we’re young. Our brains do us a great service in finding ways to cope with the challenges in front of us.

Mine took inspiration from Star Trek. While I never would have admitted it at the time, I’m a SciFi geek — it just works for me. Imagine the appeal of seeing characters like Data and Spock for someone who’s regularly feeling the pain of surgically structured zingers.

What does it matter what anyone says if you don’t feel anything from it?

Without a conscious choice, that seed was planted. It grew. I couldn’t tell you exactly how it happened. There wasn’t a defining moment. More like steps. Over time you begin putting in more effort to control your emotions. Someone says something, it hurts less, you “feel” good with your new armour, so you keep putting more on.

The Identity You Build

By the time I was in my early twenties I had my emotions under control most of the time.

I would still have fun, laugh and from the outside, you wouldn’t think anything about it. I had created a system that allowed positive emotions to come out and was getting better and better and suppressing (later in life I change my frame on this to repressing) my emotions.

I wore my control the like a badge of honour. I linked it to the idea of being a better person and more sophisticated (just like my futuristic fictional friends).

I kept building it.

Welcome To The World of Work

Moving into the professional world brings with it a lot of competition. Promotions, performance, deliverables … these are the buzzwords of daily life in corporate.

I mentioned not being a super popular kid at school. Life was a little different professionally. From the day I started my career, I have always been viewed as a “high potential”. I have high standards for myself, I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and I don’t like not understanding something.

Because of that I do a lot of work. I force myself to learn more than an average employee would.

It paid off. I have had and am having a “successful” career. With success comes stress, and pressure to perform. A volatile emotional state can hinder your ability to perform — I wanted no part of that drama.

I continued to do my work, I continued to master my craft. I got myself dialed in pretty well, was under control the majority of the time, irrespective of what was going on around me.

That’s not to say I was perfect with it. No one is a robot. No matter how well you can control yourself, there are almost always cracks once and a while.

The challenge was that I stopped experiencing a lot of the positive emotions, and it was more the negative ones that would manifest when the cracks formed. That’s when I would take a vacation for a week or two and come back ready to push on again.

Changing the Frame

The more senior I got in my career, the more interested in leadership I became. Leadership is about people. When you can work with people in the right way, success follows.

Emotional Intelligence is a huge part of leadership. Being able to manage and deal with your own emotions as well as empathizing with those around you is crucial to be a better leader.

I started dismantling a lot of my control mechanisms about 9 years ago. I would spend more time checking in with my team, seeing how they were doing, and listening to them differently.

Just as important, I spent a lot of time challenging myself. Developing your self-awareness is a non-negotiable when developing your EQ. You won’t make any progress if you aren’t able to turn the lens around and onto yourself.

It’s been a slow road to recovery. It’s taken a lot of effort. You have to get comfortable being uncomfortable.

The Focus I Have Today

The control I prided myself on took a lifetime to build. It’s taken the better part of a decade to undue a lot of it.

I still have work to do, but it’s gotten easier over the years.

The better your ability to know yourself, the better you will connect with others. You will never completely know yourself by stuffing parts of you away in a box.

I’m more successful today with my teams and those around me because I decided to change. To let go of an identify and “asset” that at one point served me well (or so I thought).

It’s never too late to start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This 1 Thing Increases Your Career Capital More Than Anything Else

The Art of Better Decision Making Have you felt scared to make a decision? Maybe you get preoccupied with making the 'wrong' decision?  Did you know that 68% of people have admitted to not doing because they thought it would be harder than it actually is. Getting comfortable with making decisions is one of the biggest challenges new leaders face. You will be placed in situations where there isn't enough time to get all of the information. Or even harder, you will be placed in situations where you'll never get more information than what you have. The good news? Making better decisions is something that you can improve by being deliberate with your learning and how you choose to approach it. This is the approach I take to decision making. These have been test and is what I have used over my 15 year career to teach and develop teams. - Accept that you will make mistakes. There is rarely a perfect answer. Getting comfortable with ambiguity is a leadership muscle you need to

Grace Under Fire

  Leadership is not a title, and it is not only something reserved for your professional life. One thing that has greatly helped me over the years is finding what is the same rather than focusing on why situations are different. There will always be differences and nuance with whatever you are dealing with, I challenge however, that there is more that is similar or relatable to something else than what is different. True leadership is about how you react, how you handle the circumstances in front of you. True leadership is also how you carry it. For every decision, position or action that you see publically, there are two to four times more that most people never see. Professionally or personally we all carry a lot, we are all going through something all the time. Being a leader means that you have to do more. It is your responsibility to still take care of your team, your peers, your friends, your family. You have to be a guiding light, a steady hand, a source of confidence and comfor

Ego

   Ego is one of the hardest things to deal with as a new manager. You are in a new situation, you are most likely leading people for the first time, you are probably a bit younger ... and you just feel like you HAVE to prove yourself. This kinda makes sense right? You were obviously promoted because you knew your stuff and were really good at your old job, so now it MUST be your job to make sure everyone knows how good you are. WRONG! This is the number one mistake most new managers make. I totally get why, we have created this hierarchy in our corporate structures that makes people believe a good supervisor = a good manager = a good director = a good VP. This. Is. Completely. Untrue. The reality is that it takes different skills to be a good leader; and excellence at one level does not automatically mean excellence at the next. To be a good leader, you have to always be trying to check your ego. Yes you are smart, you probably have good ideas, you p