Skip to main content

The Delicate Dichotomy of “The Right Choice”

 The Best Decision Isn’t Always as Obvious as It Seems




Your success at work is correlated to the quality of your relationships.


Easy right? It’s common sense. You might even be wondering who doesn’t already know this.


The challenge isn’t about attitude though. You’re right, nobody likes the as%ho^e — Don’t be that person.


The challenge comes when you have to choose between being right or making the right choice.


The Problem

My team and I had been working on a large project that had been pushed back multiple times over the years. The market finally got to a point where the problem in the field had to be addressed.


We dusted off our files and started looking at the information we had built 3 years prior. We made our plans for what needed to be refreshed and how we would go about it.


We cut through the project quickly. The team had matured a lot in that time and those roadblocks from the past were mere pebbles on the road this time around.


Cue the problem. The fundamental assumptions of the project weren’t going to hold. The opportunity that we thought was there was less than what we had expected. On top of it, we would need to force this through. The changes proposed would bring major challenges to our partners and would cause upset and unrest. People would lose their jobs. It had serious consequences.


Analysis in hand, I presented our results. It was unfortunate. Everyone was frustrated. We left the boardroom deflated and frustrated that we couldn’t deliver what the company needed.


The Decision

The next week I found myself at a major conference and was out of the country. I had already been there a few days. I explored a new city, met a lot of new vendors, and was ready to see the keynotes scheduled for the rest of the week.


Sitting in one of the breakout rooms, I’m waiting for the presenter to start. My phone goes off. It was an email from one of the project stakeholders. It said that he had reconsidered and decided to move forward with the project — to please let him know when my team would complete the work and be ready to move.


I stared at the screen for a while. Reread the email a few times. What was I missing? Nothing had changed. This didn’t work. Why would we implement this?


I wrote a response figuring all I had to do was re-explain the gaps and everything would be okay.


Another email comes in.


“I understand. Just do it.”


I’m blown away. This isn’t right. It’s not the right thing to do. The impact is too harsh for what we get back.


Clearly, I have no choice. I prepare another email. This one is more specific, pointed even. I list all of the reasons why this is wrong, why the stakeholder is making a bad decision, the impact it will have on the company, and several other sharp bullets in my favour.


I hit send and go back to the conference.


That email caused a stir. Not because of how it was written (although I know that didn’t help), but rather to who it was addressed. You see, I decided since the stakeholder didn’t understand the issue at hand, I would be better off emailing their boss. A National Senior Vice President.


The Result

I won and lost, all at the same time.


I say I won because the project never moved forward. My position and analysis were correct, the cons outweighed any of the gains.


I lost because I destroyed a relationship to do it. The impact of my decision lasted for years, things were never the same after that.


The Lesson

Being right doesn’t always mean that you have made the right choice.


After getting over my ego and self-righteousness around the situation, I was able to admit to myself that I made a mistake. I had all kinds of other options available to me. Different strategies and ways I could have approached the problem.


I allowed myself to think in 1’s and 0’s. To see the path in front of me as binary. And since I had the moral high ground, all I could see was victory. Tunnel vision at its worst.


The Take-Away

We’re all faced with hard decisions. We will all be in positions where we have to choose between technically right and the right path forward.


How I handle these situations has changed. I have never repeated this mistake.


Focus on the goal. Appreciate that everyone is trying to do the same thing you are, make a positive impact.


Slow down. Ask more questions. Work to understand their perspective and find where you have common ground.


Move the person along slowly. People don’t do well with radical shifts in thinking when they also believe they are right.


Don’t ever make it about you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This 1 Thing Increases Your Career Capital More Than Anything Else

The Art of Better Decision Making Have you felt scared to make a decision? Maybe you get preoccupied with making the 'wrong' decision?  Did you know that 68% of people have admitted to not doing because they thought it would be harder than it actually is. Getting comfortable with making decisions is one of the biggest challenges new leaders face. You will be placed in situations where there isn't enough time to get all of the information. Or even harder, you will be placed in situations where you'll never get more information than what you have. The good news? Making better decisions is something that you can improve by being deliberate with your learning and how you choose to approach it. This is the approach I take to decision making. These have been test and is what I have used over my 15 year career to teach and develop teams. - Accept that you will make mistakes. There is rarely a perfect answer. Getting comfortable with ambiguity is a leadership muscle you need to

Grace Under Fire

  Leadership is not a title, and it is not only something reserved for your professional life. One thing that has greatly helped me over the years is finding what is the same rather than focusing on why situations are different. There will always be differences and nuance with whatever you are dealing with, I challenge however, that there is more that is similar or relatable to something else than what is different. True leadership is about how you react, how you handle the circumstances in front of you. True leadership is also how you carry it. For every decision, position or action that you see publically, there are two to four times more that most people never see. Professionally or personally we all carry a lot, we are all going through something all the time. Being a leader means that you have to do more. It is your responsibility to still take care of your team, your peers, your friends, your family. You have to be a guiding light, a steady hand, a source of confidence and comfor

Ego

   Ego is one of the hardest things to deal with as a new manager. You are in a new situation, you are most likely leading people for the first time, you are probably a bit younger ... and you just feel like you HAVE to prove yourself. This kinda makes sense right? You were obviously promoted because you knew your stuff and were really good at your old job, so now it MUST be your job to make sure everyone knows how good you are. WRONG! This is the number one mistake most new managers make. I totally get why, we have created this hierarchy in our corporate structures that makes people believe a good supervisor = a good manager = a good director = a good VP. This. Is. Completely. Untrue. The reality is that it takes different skills to be a good leader; and excellence at one level does not automatically mean excellence at the next. To be a good leader, you have to always be trying to check your ego. Yes you are smart, you probably have good ideas, you p