Skip to main content

Experience & Relevance

Why do I crave relevance? - Isfandiyar Shaheen - Medium




I wanted to share some thoughts today with respect to Experience and Relevance that was, in part, inspired by this quote from Leo Tolstoy

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”

That resonated with me and I thought it would resonate with a lot of you as well right now.

Pretty much everyone is talking about what changes the coronavirus will being to our societies and businesses. There’s a lot of discussion with respect to change and doing things differently; so that got me thinking about the ideas of experience and relevance.

Humans make thousands of decisions every day; but, our brains don’t give each decision one of those decisions equal attention, our brains take all kinds of mental shortcuts.

These shortcuts are known as “biases.” They’re not necessarily good nor bad; they just are.

When I was younger and closer to the start of my career, I always struggled with having “experience” thrown at me as a way to justify a position, and it always frustrated me.

It frustrated me because no matter how much I did, no matter how many years I have under my belt, I would never be able to close the experience gap between me and someone who started 10 years earlier let’s say ... no one can make up time.

Another part of me also always wanted to say “and how does that help here and now”.

Success in not just about having experience in a field.
Success is about how relevant your idea, approach, thinking or solution is to the problem, how well does it connect with the matter at hand?

Bringing that back around to my quote ... how are you thinking about changing yourself?

Are you allowing cognitive biases like the expedience bias, confirmation bias and the self-serving bias drive your decisions?

Are you making the same decisions based on the past, and what you knew, because it brings you comfort and safety, because you think there’s more certainty there?

I really challenge you to step out of your comfort zone, to challenge what you’re thinking, what your boss thinking , the way your HR department is hiring, the solutions you are accepting from your vendors and suppliers ... everything.

Ask yourself, is what we are doing relevant to our challenges today? But more importantly, is what you are doing going to be relevant tomorrow, or are you just trying to recreate where you used to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Irony Of A World That Needs Big Leaps

While Promoting Nothing but Fear  The dream of previous generations was to find a good job, settle in, work hard, get promoted and retire. People were happy to be in one place, and for many of them, one place provided them everything they needed. The world has change. Business has changed. People have changed. I recently read the book Jump by Kim Perell. It's not exactly a business book, definitely geared towards taking big leaps - more framed for life in general. The core ideas are great. Nothing dramatically different than a lot of what you will find in other books in the self-help genre, however the presentation is on point and well structured. Kim sets up the three main buckets for why people need to take big leaps (or jumps) in their life. You have no choice (i.e. something has happened to you) You see an opportunity You're feeling stuck The book did connect for me on a personal level, however I found a lot of parallels for my professional life as well. I've spent the ...

This 1 Thing Increases Your Career Capital More Than Anything Else

The Art of Better Decision Making Have you felt scared to make a decision? Maybe you get preoccupied with making the 'wrong' decision?  Did you know that 68% of people have admitted to not doing because they thought it would be harder than it actually is. Getting comfortable with making decisions is one of the biggest challenges new leaders face. You will be placed in situations where there isn't enough time to get all of the information. Or even harder, you will be placed in situations where you'll never get more information than what you have. The good news? Making better decisions is something that you can improve by being deliberate with your learning and how you choose to approach it. This is the approach I take to decision making. These have been test and is what I have used over my 15 year career to teach and develop teams. - Accept that you will make mistakes. There is rarely a perfect answer. Getting comfortable with ambiguity is a leadership muscle you need to...

Self-Awareness & Growth

  I'm sure seeing the title made some people cringe. Are these not some of the biggest buzzwords over the last 5 years? On one hand, I am sure a lot of people are frustrated with the avalanche of "self-improvement advice", I am sure that there are feelings of aren't I already enough? Am I not already good enough. You are 100% enough. That is not the point of this post. My hope in writing this is that it may help you appreciate how often we are our own barriers for the success that we want. Most of us have grown up and come through systems that promote the status quo. Most people will rationalize the status quo (even when it is in conflict with their own interests) as legitimate in order to fit in and be accepted. A popular frame for this is that it is done out of fear. That we fear the unknown, it lacks certainty so we do what we can to avoid it. The truth is you cannot fear something that you know nothing about. Your fear is coming from your perception of the unknown...