Skip to main content

Disinterested Learning

Design Thinking Is Transforming Learning Experience - eLearning ...


learn·ing
/ˈlərniNG/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: learning

    the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, study, or by being taught.
 I came across the notion of "Disinterested Learning" this morning and I absolutely love it.

I was never a straight A student through school, to be honest, it would probably be more like straight B's! That was never really because of a lack of ability, it was more of a result of how much I enjoyed the subject.

In the classes I loved or was really interested in, my marks would be high, in the classes that I took because I had to or if I didn't enjoy the professor or material, B / B+.

People often find it amusing then when they find out about how much "self learning" that I do. I read a ton, I research things that I don't understand or want to improve on (and I can even get a little obsessed with my focus).

While it wasn't as apparent earlier in life, I do love to learn. It is something that has matured with my as I get wiser (that's the endearing way to say I'm getting grey right?)

So what is "Disinterested Learning" then?

It's learning for the sake of learning, and not simply because it will have an immediate reward.

How cool is that?

I often describe myself as an unrelenting self learner - I can tell you, people usually don't get it. They think I'm using some corporate, fluffy kind of talk to make myself sound more enlightened. Not so.

Learning for the sake of learning is amazing, I recommend it to everyone. It fundamentally changes the way you look at things because you are always getting new ideas and perspectives layered onto your existing paradigms.

What have you learned today?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Irony Of A World That Needs Big Leaps

While Promoting Nothing but Fear  The dream of previous generations was to find a good job, settle in, work hard, get promoted and retire. People were happy to be in one place, and for many of them, one place provided them everything they needed. The world has change. Business has changed. People have changed. I recently read the book Jump by Kim Perell. It's not exactly a business book, definitely geared towards taking big leaps - more framed for life in general. The core ideas are great. Nothing dramatically different than a lot of what you will find in other books in the self-help genre, however the presentation is on point and well structured. Kim sets up the three main buckets for why people need to take big leaps (or jumps) in their life. You have no choice (i.e. something has happened to you) You see an opportunity You're feeling stuck The book did connect for me on a personal level, however I found a lot of parallels for my professional life as well. I've spent the ...

This 1 Thing Increases Your Career Capital More Than Anything Else

The Art of Better Decision Making Have you felt scared to make a decision? Maybe you get preoccupied with making the 'wrong' decision?  Did you know that 68% of people have admitted to not doing because they thought it would be harder than it actually is. Getting comfortable with making decisions is one of the biggest challenges new leaders face. You will be placed in situations where there isn't enough time to get all of the information. Or even harder, you will be placed in situations where you'll never get more information than what you have. The good news? Making better decisions is something that you can improve by being deliberate with your learning and how you choose to approach it. This is the approach I take to decision making. These have been test and is what I have used over my 15 year career to teach and develop teams. - Accept that you will make mistakes. There is rarely a perfect answer. Getting comfortable with ambiguity is a leadership muscle you need to...

Self-Awareness & Growth

  I'm sure seeing the title made some people cringe. Are these not some of the biggest buzzwords over the last 5 years? On one hand, I am sure a lot of people are frustrated with the avalanche of "self-improvement advice", I am sure that there are feelings of aren't I already enough? Am I not already good enough. You are 100% enough. That is not the point of this post. My hope in writing this is that it may help you appreciate how often we are our own barriers for the success that we want. Most of us have grown up and come through systems that promote the status quo. Most people will rationalize the status quo (even when it is in conflict with their own interests) as legitimate in order to fit in and be accepted. A popular frame for this is that it is done out of fear. That we fear the unknown, it lacks certainty so we do what we can to avoid it. The truth is you cannot fear something that you know nothing about. Your fear is coming from your perception of the unknown...