Skip to main content

Leading through Coaching

I enjoy success as much as anyone else. That rush you get when a project or launch that you have been working on goes as planned (or even better than planned). It gives you a great sense of accomplishment, pride and probably a solid boost to your ego (this is a whole other discussion!).

I have been fortunate to have had a lot of those moments in my career up until this point, and have taken the opportunity to maximize the learning from each  of them, building my style and my "way".
What I am more fortunate for however, is having had the opportunity to lead.

Working with a team, helping them succeed and develop while at the same time growing yourself is extremely rewarding. It's way way harder than then technical stuff; learning systems and processes is so much simpler than effectively leading a team.

In my experience, most "leadership training", which a lot of the time is actually management training, does a disservice to future leaders. You get personality tests, you walk through proven models, and you are led to believe there is a formula to leadership.

 For me, being a better leader means acknowledging a few things:
  • You are never good enough, always be strive to do better
  • You have to challenge yourself
  • You have to be putting in the work - leadership has it's own skill-set, some people may access these more naturally than others, but most people can develop them
  • You will make mistakes
  • Your title or position in an org chart does NOT make you better than your team (and that's big T there, meaning everyone at all levels)

A lot of my leadership development has come through self learning (books, articles, seminars, asking for feedback, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I have had some amazing professional training experiences, however to be a good leader, you need to constantly be looking to learn and better yourself.

Today I had the opportunity to attend a talk given by Michael Bungay Stanier. Michael is a world renowned leader in coaching and is an amazing speaker. He is the author of multiple books, including The Coaching Habit and The Advice Trap.

I was first exposed to Michael by a former colleague who knew of my passion for leadership and reading. She had suggested his book (The Coaching Habit) to me a couple of years ago now, and it has been on my "to get to" shelf ever since. Having the opportunity to hear Michael speak, I quickly moved The Coaching Habit to the top of the list and was able to get through it prior to this morning's session.

I loved his talk, and once again had the opportunity to learn, grow and develop my self-awareness.

Here's what was most useful for me from today's talk on The Advice Trap:

I put a lot of effort into asking questions, that is a huge part of my leadership. Sometimes my team would get frustrated when they would come to my door with a problem, and I would want to talk it over with them and not just give them an answer. I have always found working through another person's thinking more beneficial than just staying focused on the task and whether or not it was done as "expected".

Michael had us pair with another attendee in the room to have a back and forth dialogue to demonstrate his point (Michael's sessions are very interactive, other facilitators PLEASE take note).

So we are going through the exercise, and I am asking the specific questions and approach laid out for us and I think I am doing really well. I start hearing what seems to be like a theme in my partner's answers, immediately I have this lurking "answer" that is now just waiting to help with this dilemma.

Then Michael flips the slide and on the screen is a lurking shadow of a person ... THE ADVICE MONSTER!

With Michael saying "You don't know this person, you don't know anything about the context, you have no idea what other factors are at play ... but YOU have an ANSWER!".

So true. That immediate awareness that the habits in my brain were already kicking in, that I was shifting from listening to understand and had moved to listening to respond had completely happened ... even with all the time I invest developing my leadership.

Humbling.

The level of awareness that gave me was fantastic.

 
While I definitely did not enjoy falling into the Advice Trap so easily, the reality is, having a growth opportunity is exactly why I attended the talk this morning, and I feel fortunate that I was able to get exactly what I wanted from the experience.

Leadership is a journey, you are evolving, your teams are evolving, your world is changing, your context is yours.

The goal for me is to do exactly as Michael left us with, to #StayCuriousLonger and to take every opportunity to learn.

Thank you Michael for doing what you do.



P.S. @Michael Bungay Stanier - I have applied to work with Box of Crayons in the Past ... just saying :)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This 1 Thing Increases Your Career Capital More Than Anything Else

The Art of Better Decision Making Have you felt scared to make a decision? Maybe you get preoccupied with making the 'wrong' decision?  Did you know that 68% of people have admitted to not doing because they thought it would be harder than it actually is. Getting comfortable with making decisions is one of the biggest challenges new leaders face. You will be placed in situations where there isn't enough time to get all of the information. Or even harder, you will be placed in situations where you'll never get more information than what you have. The good news? Making better decisions is something that you can improve by being deliberate with your learning and how you choose to approach it. This is the approach I take to decision making. These have been test and is what I have used over my 15 year career to teach and develop teams. - Accept that you will make mistakes. There is rarely a perfect answer. Getting comfortable with ambiguity is a leadership muscle you need to

Grace Under Fire

  Leadership is not a title, and it is not only something reserved for your professional life. One thing that has greatly helped me over the years is finding what is the same rather than focusing on why situations are different. There will always be differences and nuance with whatever you are dealing with, I challenge however, that there is more that is similar or relatable to something else than what is different. True leadership is about how you react, how you handle the circumstances in front of you. True leadership is also how you carry it. For every decision, position or action that you see publically, there are two to four times more that most people never see. Professionally or personally we all carry a lot, we are all going through something all the time. Being a leader means that you have to do more. It is your responsibility to still take care of your team, your peers, your friends, your family. You have to be a guiding light, a steady hand, a source of confidence and comfor

Ego

   Ego is one of the hardest things to deal with as a new manager. You are in a new situation, you are most likely leading people for the first time, you are probably a bit younger ... and you just feel like you HAVE to prove yourself. This kinda makes sense right? You were obviously promoted because you knew your stuff and were really good at your old job, so now it MUST be your job to make sure everyone knows how good you are. WRONG! This is the number one mistake most new managers make. I totally get why, we have created this hierarchy in our corporate structures that makes people believe a good supervisor = a good manager = a good director = a good VP. This. Is. Completely. Untrue. The reality is that it takes different skills to be a good leader; and excellence at one level does not automatically mean excellence at the next. To be a good leader, you have to always be trying to check your ego. Yes you are smart, you probably have good ideas, you p