Skip to main content

How to Write Your Best Stuff: Write From Life

 If it's too personal, keep it for your journal.


That was the messages of an article I saw earlier. The position was that your writing for be for your readers, and not for you.

I'm always facinated with our desire for binary thinking. Our brains are the most complex system to ever be created on the planet, and we regularly reduce it's power to an option of two choices.


I agree with the author sharing that sentiment if your writing has really about your mental health. Studies have shown time and again the benefits of journaling and the impact it has on our ability to process information.

For me, the goal of writing is to spark discussion. It's a gift to have our ideas challenged. To have new information enter our world and open ourselves to the possibility of more.


Writing from life helps you do this.

People can pick up if you aren't authentic. If you don't care. Writing from life connects your experiences, your emotions and your dreams into the ideas that you set loose.


Do I always write on things that are directly connected to personal or professional experiences? No.

The majority of what I write however is. 

Some nices may connect to one off situations. Some connect to the type of person I was, am now or want to be. Some connect to hopes and dreams. The connection to real brings different thoughts to the table. It brings different levels of emotion.


Sharing ideas this way shows other people what matters to you. That doesn't mean everyone will reciprocate. People can read your position and it means nothing to them. They could also read it and it might mean everything. You never know. That's where the magic happens.


I encourage everyone to find ways to share their ideas. Sitting in the dark and staying silent robs the world of what you can contribute. We all have stories. We all have lessons. You will always be able to learn something from someone else.


What are you passionate about? What goals have you set for yourself? Are you doing what needs to be done to achieve them?

Use these to write. To paint. To dance. To sign. Whatever is your platform.

You will start seeing the benefits of what these creative outlets give you.


I have been writing a lot lately. I definitely have had a hard time with the habit I am trying to built. I have felt like I was pushing and writing just to check a box.

Want to know what was interesting?

Writing one thing that was bubbling on my mind completely reset the system. Immediately my creativity increased, the stress I was feeling dropped. I wrote from life.

Try it. If it doesn't work for you, that just means you have a different channel. Find that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Irony Of A World That Needs Big Leaps

While Promoting Nothing but Fear  The dream of previous generations was to find a good job, settle in, work hard, get promoted and retire. People were happy to be in one place, and for many of them, one place provided them everything they needed. The world has change. Business has changed. People have changed. I recently read the book Jump by Kim Perell. It's not exactly a business book, definitely geared towards taking big leaps - more framed for life in general. The core ideas are great. Nothing dramatically different than a lot of what you will find in other books in the self-help genre, however the presentation is on point and well structured. Kim sets up the three main buckets for why people need to take big leaps (or jumps) in their life. You have no choice (i.e. something has happened to you) You see an opportunity You're feeling stuck The book did connect for me on a personal level, however I found a lot of parallels for my professional life as well. I've spent the ...

This 1 Thing Increases Your Career Capital More Than Anything Else

The Art of Better Decision Making Have you felt scared to make a decision? Maybe you get preoccupied with making the 'wrong' decision?  Did you know that 68% of people have admitted to not doing because they thought it would be harder than it actually is. Getting comfortable with making decisions is one of the biggest challenges new leaders face. You will be placed in situations where there isn't enough time to get all of the information. Or even harder, you will be placed in situations where you'll never get more information than what you have. The good news? Making better decisions is something that you can improve by being deliberate with your learning and how you choose to approach it. This is the approach I take to decision making. These have been test and is what I have used over my 15 year career to teach and develop teams. - Accept that you will make mistakes. There is rarely a perfect answer. Getting comfortable with ambiguity is a leadership muscle you need to...

Self-Awareness & Growth

  I'm sure seeing the title made some people cringe. Are these not some of the biggest buzzwords over the last 5 years? On one hand, I am sure a lot of people are frustrated with the avalanche of "self-improvement advice", I am sure that there are feelings of aren't I already enough? Am I not already good enough. You are 100% enough. That is not the point of this post. My hope in writing this is that it may help you appreciate how often we are our own barriers for the success that we want. Most of us have grown up and come through systems that promote the status quo. Most people will rationalize the status quo (even when it is in conflict with their own interests) as legitimate in order to fit in and be accepted. A popular frame for this is that it is done out of fear. That we fear the unknown, it lacks certainty so we do what we can to avoid it. The truth is you cannot fear something that you know nothing about. Your fear is coming from your perception of the unknown...